Although the matters below are NOT regulated by the NMPRC, we provide the following list of commonly asked questions as a reference for consumers to the appropriate agency:
- Tracking and monitoring of complaints against businesses operating in the state is done by the New Mexico Attorney General. http://www.nmag.gov
- Insurance – Life, annuities, health, Medicare supplement, long term care, credit life and disability, property and casualty: auto, home insurance complaints – contact the New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance. http://www.osi.state.nm.us
- Insurance – Company and agent licensing – contact the New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance. http://www.osi.state.nm.us
- Insurance – Workers compensation complaints, title insurance complaints, and insurance fraud – contact the New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance. http://www.osi.state.nm.us
- Insurance – Managed health care complaints involving HMO, EPO, PPO plans and entities that purchases or is authorized to purchase health care benefits pursuant to the New Mexico Health Care Purchasing Act – contact the New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance. http://www.osi.state.nm.us
- Insurance – Aftermarket warranties/guarantees for both homeowners and automobile policyholders – contact the New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance. http://www.osi.state.nm.us
- Insurance – Dental insurance – contact the New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance. http://www.osi.state.nm.us
- Corporations – Issue certificates of incorporation/authority, oversees the organization and registration of limited liability companies, and verifies the completeness and accuracy of related charter documents – contact the New Mexico Secretary of State. http://www.sos.state.nm.us/Business_Services/Corporations_Overview.aspx
- Obtain a Combined Reporting System (CRS) Identification Number, it is used to report and pay tax collected on gross receipts from business conducted in New Mexico – contact the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department. http://www.tax.newmexico.gov
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) - contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Manufacturer’s warranties and defective products – contact the New Mexico Attorney General. http://www.nmag.gov
- Moving companies - interstate (between the states) moves - contact https://www.protectyourmove.gov
- Unlawful money transfer - Contact the USPS - https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov
- Self-insured health plans with the exception of entities that purchase or are authorized to purchase health care benefits pursuant to the New Mexico Health Care Purchasing Act.
- Individuals denied coverage and uninsurable – contact the New Mexico Medical Insurance Pool. http://www.nmmip.org
- Self-insured plans – The PRC will process complaints but doesn’t have jurisdiction.
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP).
- Determinations of liability damages – contact an attorney.
- Inter-lata long distance carrier rates and terms of service.
- Cellular Provider and pager – rates.
- Internet fraud or crimes. http://www.iC3.gov
- Landline inside wiring and maintenance plans – rates and service.
- Complaints regarding municipally-owned utilities – contact the City or County of jurisdiction.
- Complaints regarding gas associations/cooperatives.
- Complaints concerning oil companies.
- Complaints against Homeowner's Assocations - contact your local County Clerk's office.
Homeowners Associations Act - Providing for the formation and management of planned communities; requiring notice and open meetings, providing for disclosure of records; allowing audits; providing for attorney fees; requiring disclosure of homeowner assocation information to purchasers, limiting restrictions on the installation or use of solar collectors and water conservation measures.
- Collection of damage claims against utilities.
- Merchandise sold by a public utility, repair or maintenance contracts for heating and/or cooling equipment.
- Complaints regarding water and sewer associations/cooperatives - contact the New Mexico Rural Water Association http://www.nmrwa.org/ 1-800-819-9893.
- Propane tank rental fees – are not regulated.
- Cost of propane – is not regulated.
- Easements, permits, rights of way (property issues).
- Public school insurance issues – contact the New Mexico Public Schools Insurance Authority. http://www.nmpsia.com/
- Auto warranties – The PRC will process complaints but doesn’t have jurisdiction.
- Rising Gas prices – Standards and Consumer Services Division at the New Mexico Department of Agriculture http://nmdaweb.nmsu.edu/ or (575) 646-3007.