Valerie Espinoza was elected Commissioner of District 3 of the Public Regulation Commission in November 2012. She began serving her term and was selected to be Vice-Chair of the Commission in January 2013. She is committed to protecting the public interest while engaging utilities to advance efficiency and clean energy sources. She promotes innovation and technological advancement in the telecommunications, water and transportation (train, ambulance and towing) industries and advocates for public safety as a regulator of the Fire Marshall.
- 2013 – present. Commissioner, District 3, New Mexico Public Regulation Commission (NMPRC).
- Elected Vice-Chair in 2013 and 2014.
- Chair, NMPRC Wildfire Task Force.
- Convened over 20 tribal, state, federal, and local government agencies; utilities, cooperatives, non-profit organizations, and citizens to discuss wildfire prevention solutions.
- Held public meetings to inform the public on electric utility, telecommunication and transportation issues throughout District 3.
- Appointed to the committees of the National Association of Regulated Utility Commissioners
- Committee on Energy Resources and the Environment
- Subcommittee on Utility Marketplace Access
- 2004-2012 Santa Fe County Clerk. Brought county voting locations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act; helped pass legislation for all-paper ballot voting system in New Mexico; updated county voter records, which in turn updated the State Voter Registration system.
- Implemented scanning of voter registration forms into the electronic voter registration file.
- Successful implementation of updated system in Santa Fe County prior to the general election of 2006.
- 1979-1984 - Supervisor, Notary Public Division, Office of the Secretary of State.
- Authored procedures for use by future Secretaries of State and their employees.
- 1984-2004 – Executive Office Administrator, Office of the Deputy Associate Laboratory Director, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Support to Senior Managers and Directors; Lab liaison for partnering state and federal organizations including the U.S. Department of Energy; Responsible for office staff.
- Other duties included: establishing office guidelines; conference organization; serving as designated Laboratory Meeting Planner for all Legislative and Congressional staff visits.
- Organizer for the Laboratory's 1995 University Outreach Special Programs project. This project included placing, interviewing, hiring, and counseling 170 minority students from around the world.
- Host of weekly TV program "Consumer Action" on local channel 16 community access.
- Member of National Association of Latino Elected Officials.
- Member of the Capital City Business & Professional Women's Organization.
- Member of MANA [Mexican-American Women's National Association] del Norte.
- Second Vice-President of the International Association of Clerks, Recorders, Election Officials and Treasurers
- Member of the County Clerk's Affiliate of the New Mexico Association of Counties
- Member of the National Association of Counties
- Member of the Northern Humane Society Advisor Board
- Del Norte Red Cross Board Member
- Northern New Mexico Citizens' Advisory Board Member
- Northern New Mexico Crisis Center Board Member
- Member of the State Commission for Film &Media Industries
- Member of the Sustainable Enhancement Team [SET] Task Force on Election Process
- Member of the Santa Fe County Task Force on DWI
- Member of the Espanola Animal Shelter Advisory Board
- Chairwoman of the Governor's Animal Shelter Services Board
- Host of weekly radio program on elections in the county and state,
Que Suave, KSWV Radio AM 810
- Open Hands Board Member
- Member of the Board of Trustees of Santa Fe Children's Museum
- Member of the Board of New Mexico Association of Counties (NMAC)
- Executive Board Member of the New Mexico Association of Counties
AWARDS AND CERTIFICATES
- Albuquerque Business First, Woman of Influence (2014)
- Capital City Professional and Business Woman of the Year, nominee (2011)
- Capital City Professional and Business Woman of the Year (2009)
- Local Government Leadership Program of New Mexico, Certificate of Achievement (2009)
- "Woman of the Year" recognition from the New Mexico Status of Women (2003 and 2007)
- Pollution Prevention Awareness Award from Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Designation as a Certified Advocate for Public Ethics, 2014. New Mexico State University (NMSU) EDGE Program.
- Completion of coursework, The Basics in Utility Rates, via NMSU Center for Public Utilities and the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners.
- Bachelor of Arts from the College of Santa Fe in Organizational Psychology (1997)
- Associate of Applied Science from Northern New Mexico Community College in Human Services (1993)
- Certified Public Official, New Mexico State University County College
- Los Alamos National Laboratory - mediation, negotiation, conflict management and resolution training.
- PRC Wildfire Task Force Meeting Scheduled For April 17 - April 14, 2014
- PRC’s Espinoza Rounds Out Successful First Year in Office - March 10, 2014
- Valerie Espinoza Named 2014 ABQ Business First Woman of Influence - February 1, 2014
- Public Regulation Commission Suspends Tri-State Rate Increase - January 14, 2014
- PRC’s Espinoza Promotes Importance of Safe Digging Using New Mexico 811 - October 31, 2013
- PRC’s Espinoza Meets With Northern Rio Arriba County Cooperative - October 2, 2013
- PRC’s Espinoza Pushes For More Discussion On Power Line Easements In Dry Forests - September 9, 2013
- PRC’s Espinoza Dedicates Chama Fire Station to Local Firefighting Hero - August 12, 2013
- Fire education and safety a priority for PRC’s Valerie Espinoza - July 15, 2013
- PRC’s Espinoza Key Speaker at 2013 ‘Hispanics In Energy’ Series - June 28, 2013
- PRC Staying On Pace With Normal Duties Until July 1 Transition - June 5, 2013
- PRC’s Espinoza Promotes ‘Safe Digging Month’ in Northern New Mexico - May 1, 2013
- Valerie Espinoza Begins Tenure In PRC’s District 3 Office - January 3, 2013
Commissioner Espinoza’s Staff
Mary Jane Parks
Phone: (505) 827-4533
Valerie Espinoza is the Commissioner of the 3rd District of the Public Regulation Commission.
District 3 is shown as the golden area on the map below.
281,568 registered voters in District 3
View Larger Map