Karen L. Montoya, Chairwoman
Commissioner - District 1
1120 Paseo De Peralta
P.O. Box 1269
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504
New Mexico Public Regulation Chairwoman Karen L. Montoya represents the state’s most densely populated area, District 1, which includes most of Albuquerque. Throughout her career, Chairwoman Montoya has made it a personal priority to maintain trust, accountability, integrity and transparency at every level. As a Commissioner for the PRC, she brings that high level of service to the people of New Mexico.
At the PRC Chairwoman Montoya has been the leading voice in advocating for better integration of utilities and renewable energy technologies. Chairwoman Montoya has also worked on several cases to help consumers and industries find middle ground to ensure fair and reasonable rates, and to assure reasonable and adequate services are provided to the public as provided by law. In addition, Chairwoman Montoya has worked to provide outreach to her District by hosting town hall and public comment events to discuss regulated issues and concerns with constituents and service providers. The Chairwoman has continued her commitment to ethics and education by participating in several ethics training courses for elected officials and professional education conferences nationwide. The Chairwoman also has served on several discussion panels nationwide providing her outlook on issues facing the Commission, regulated industries, and ratepayers.
In addition to her work on the PRC, Chairwoman Montoya serves as the Vice Chair of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. State Commission, and serves on the Western Interstate Energy Board State Provincial Steering Committee, and the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners Water Committee.
Before joining the PRC, Chairwoman Montoya served two terms as Bernalillo County Assessor, and holds the distinction of being the first woman elected to that office. There, she handled complex property matters related to agricultural valuation, real estate appraisal, commercial appraisal and assessment administration.
Prior to becoming an elected official, Chairwoman Montoya was employed as a commercial and residential appraiser for 15 years, working at the New Mexico Property Tax Division and the Bernalillo County Assessor’s Office. As a part of her assessor’s work she successfully completed coursework at the University of New Mexico, TVI, and the International Association of Assessing Officers to qualify as a New Mexico certified appraiser, the highest designation awarded by the state of New Mexico.
During her time in state and local governments, she was chair of the New Mexico Valuation Protest Board. She also served as chair of the New Mexico Association of Counties Property Tax Task Force from 2008 to 2009, and as vice-chair of the New Mexico Association of Assessing Officers from 2007 to 2009. Upon her completion of her term as County Assessor in 2012, she was honored by the Bernalillo County Board of Commissioners for her dedicated service to the people of Bernalillo County.
Commissioner Montoya is a 12th generation New Mexican and a native of Albuquerque.
PRC Chair Montoya opening the 12th Annual Energy in the Southwest Conference.
PRC Commission Chair Montoya Addresses Energy Efficiency
During SWEEP’s 12th Annual Utility Energy Workshop
- PRC Chairwoman Karen Montoya Says Vote on Revised PNM Plan Protects Public Interest - Dec 16, 2015
- Commissioners Adopt Final Order In San Juan Case Approving PNM's Application To Abandon Two Units - Dec 16, 2015
- PRC Commission Chair Montoya Addresses Energy Efficiency During SWEEP’s 12th Annual Utility Energy Workshop - Dec 7, 2015
- PRC Commission Chair Montoya Opens 12th Annual Energy In The Southwest Conference - Aug 10, 2015
- PRC Commission Chair Montoya Delivers Keynote Speech - May 13, 2015
- PRC Commission Chair Montoya Attends Southwest Clean Energy Transmission Summit at UNM - April 2, 2015
- PRC Commission Chairwoman Montoya Addresses Albuquerque Chamber Board - March 30, 2015
- Commission Chair Montoya Invites Public to Speak on PNM Proposal to Shut Down 2 Units at San Juan Power Plant March 10, 2015
- Upcoming ABQ Town Hall Will Cover PRC Motor Carrier Regulation - February 17, 2014
- PRC’s Karen Montoya Joins Martin Luther King Jr. State Commission - February 15, 2013
Commissioner Montoya's Staff:
Phone: (505) 827-8015
Karen Montoya is the Commissioner of the 1st District of the Public Regulation Commission.
District 1 is shown as the purple area on the map below.
Click here for larger view of map